Make a GREAT THINGS TO DO LIST, before going on a camping trip!
Fun things to do while camping – While camping needs some preparation people often forget to make a list of great fun things to do while you are on your camping trip. To be fully prepared, I recommend you will also spend some time to make a list of fun things too!
In this post:
- Make a GREAT THINGS TO DO LIST.
- Outdoor Activities For Family.
- Outdoor Activities for Couples.
- Outdoor Activities For Camping Alone.
- Great things to do while Camping in the rain.
- Great things to while Camping in the Dark.
Why you should make a camping to-do list.
Making your camping to-do list will always make you a ready and happy camper. It ensures that you have your activities in place. A proper camping to-do list should include any essentials required in getting your camping activities started and should be organized into categories depending on the person or group taking up the task.
For example, a to-do list for you if you will be camping alone, for the family or friends. However, ensure that you do not list too many activities than you can handle.
Your fun things to do list will often vary based on the outdoor and camping activities you are looking to get involved in. Therefore, you should be wise not to download a generic to-do list from the internet.
You can research to-do lists but these should act as a guide to what activities you can take part in while camping. In creating your fun to-do list, ensure you are specific and only pay attention to any activity or fun thing important to your trip. Do not add what you do not need to do or carry any item that you will not use.
Creating the perfect “Fun things to do while camping” list!
- Determine the type of camping trip that you plan to go to and the duration. For a long camping week, you want to ensure you include a variety of activities that will last you through the period. For a shorter camping period include a few key activities you would love doing when outdoors.
- Plan the activities according to the people attending. If you have kids, the whole family or friends tagging along, make sure you include activities befitting them in your to-do list.
- Ensure those coming along are involved in planning the activities. Their input will determine the type of activities include in your fun things “to-do” list
- Print out the list weeks ahead of your camping and make any adjustments to avoid adding any unnecessary things.
What are the nice outdoor activities to do when camping?
Whether you will be camping in a vacation rental, a tent or an RV, these won’t matter as they are places where you get to retire for the night. Camping should be an opportunity where you get to engage in various activities and have serious fun.
The presence of a natural setting will offer you a dynamic, ever-changing canvas that you, your couple, family or kids should observe and explore.
Additionally, engaging in outdoor activities with the ones you love will provide an opportunity for bonding and strengthening family ties.
Outdoor Activities for Kids.
It takes a lot of effort to camp with kids but comes with a huge payoff. The loosely planned schedule allows for a mental break and provides ways with which you can experience new things. Engage kids in the following outdoor activities when camping.
- Assign them simple chores around the camp to keep them engaged
- Engage them in easy camping craft
- Have some shovels and a bucket as kids love digging the dirt
- Engage them in the art (You want to bring some art supplies with you)
- Looking at the stars
- Making shadow puppets
- Sporting activities such as baseball, football, etc
- Taking a nature walk
Family outdoor activities.
Help your family explore nature with these outdoor activities
- Camping scavenger hunt
- Cataloging rocks
- Nature gathering
- Collecting bugs
- Bird watching
- Water skiing
- Skipping stones
Outdoor activities for couples.
Planning the best outdoor activities will help bring you and your partner closer to unforgettable moments. The following are outdoor activities that you and your partner can engage in while camping
- Having wine by the fire.
- Playing some poker
- Scavenger hunt
What are the great things to do when camping in the rain?
One of the various ways you can make your outdoor camping experience great is finding the perfect location for setting up camp. Nothing beats sleeping under the full view of the sky and kick-starting the morning to chirping birds.
However, you cannot rely on the weather to always behave when camping. There will be days in your camping days when it will rain and rather than ending your trip there; you can still have fun with the following activities.
Fun things to do when camping alone in the rain.
The following are activities that you can engage yourself in during a rainy camping day
- Reading books or magazines
- Enjoying music
- Going fishing
- Repair any broken gear
- Watch movies on an electronic device
- Play games on an electronic device
Fun things for kids when camping in the rain.
If you brought kids along with you, the start of rain should not signal the end of fun. Keep children engaged in the following activities
- Telling stories: Kids will always marvel at a sweet story and will keep them entertained while it is raining outside.
- Reading books: You can have all the kids read one book or let each have their book
- Colouring: You can have your kids engaged on a rainy camping day by having them use markers and crayons to color images on coloring sheets and books.
- You can also allow them to play in the rain and get wet. If you came prepared for rainy weather, letting the kids play outside during a rainy day will not result in any health hazard.
What Family Fun things while camping in the rain?
If you are camping with your family, you can keep them engaged with the following fun activities when it is raining
- Cards and other interpersonal games: ensure to bring games matching the camper’s ages and personalities. A deck of cards is a very lightweight option to bring along.
- Go fishing: Fish will be stimulated to feed during rainy weather, hence the perfect time to go fishing
- Reading: Have a storybook that you can read out to the rest and keep them engaged
- Baking: If you and your family are camping in an RV, you can make their rainy afternoons delightful with great culinary experiences.
Fun things for couples when camping in the rain.
Camping with your partner is one of the best experiences you can have. However, during a rainy day, you want to engage in the following fun activities
- Enjoy Music or a movie
- Enjoying the sounds of nature
- Visit indoor attractions close to your camping site
- Play card and board games
What Types of Games can you do when camping?
Being outside when camping is very beneficial. For starters, your body gets access to more vitamin D, reduced stress and increased focus. However, you are bound to have a lot of free time during camping due to the lack of screen time.
Camping games will offer a great option for filling the void and ensuring you enjoy your downtime and that of theirs when outdoors.
You can retrofit any coffee-table game played at home to have it next or around a campfire. You can also bring with you lightweight games in your backpack.
Type of games to do when camping alone.
When camping alone, you want to keep yourself entertained by playing games such as:
- Electronic games on phones, tablets, and laptops
- Mini golf
- Lawn bowling
Type of games to do when camping with the family.
Bringing your family to camping can be a great way to bond and get close. The following are some types of games you can engage your family with while camping.
- Thumb wrestling tournament
- Simon says
- Two truths and a lie
- I spy
- Camping alphabet hunt: naming campsite objects that start with each letter of the alphabet
- Sleeping bag races
- Glow stick ring toss
- Water relay
- Flashlight tag
- Nature scavenger hunt
- Squirt gun races
Type of games to do when camping with kids.
Here is a checklist for fun games when camping with kids
- Water bucket races
- Comping Olympics
- The alphabet game
- Camping Bingo
- Measuring the length and height of campsite objects
- Name that tune
- Freeze tag
- Sleeping bag relay
- Knot tying
- Obstacle course
Type of games to do when camping for a couple.
If you choose to let your partner tag along, make their camping experience worth remembering with the following games
- Would you rather
- Truth or dare
- 36 questions (a smartphone app)
- Romantic scrabble
- Scavenger hunt
What are fun things to do after Dark, in The Evening and at Night when camping?
Camping provides a great avenue to spend quality time either by yourself, with family or friends without having any distractions. When camping, your days will be spent hiking. Cooking, swimming among other camping activities.
However, the fun does not need to end after the sun has set. Therefore, you must have a list of activities to partake in during your camping nights.
Fun things to do in the dark when camping alone.
When camping alone, engage yourself in the following nighttime camping activities
- Lighting fireworks
- Watching a movie
- Taking a hike or evening walk
- A scavenger hunt
- Night swims
- Watch a movie
- Play video games
Fun things to do in the dark when camping with the family.
Ensure your family experiences a great camping night or evening by engaging in the following fun activities.
- Marshmallow time
- Family chatter
- Games by the fireplace i.e. truth or dare, charades
- Noah’s ark
- Music and songs
- Family reading
- Board games
- Glow stick ring toss
- Flashlight party dance
- Flashlight scavenger hunt
- Hide and seek
- Hiking at night
- Nighttime swims
Fun things to do in the dark when camping with kids.
If you are looking to spend a great time with kids when camping at night, engage them in the following activities
- Learning about the environment
- Catching fireflies
- Making shadow puppets
- Flashlight tag
- Building a fire
- Watching an outdoor movie
- Taking a walk at night
Fun things to do in the dark when camping as a couple.
Ensure your partner enjoys his or her camping night by partaking in the following activities
- Taking a night hike
- Building a fire
- Wine by the fireplace
- Watch a movie outdoors
- Have a night swim
- Play music and musical instruments
What are good Ideas for photography when camping?
Camping is a thing of beauty. It allows you to leave all the worries of your work behind and open you to experience the wonders and beauty of nature. It is even more fun when you are bringing your family, partner or friends, along. However, the lingering question is how to capture those moments for documentation. Here are some good ideas for photography when camping.
a. Capturing the preparations
A grand idea for camping photography is documenting the preparations. Packing for a camping trip can be a very daunting task and the last thing on your mind would be to take pictures. However, it is important to note that the packing process is also part of the camping event. Take a few minutes taking photos as you pack. This includes pictures of the camping equipment, sleeping bags, the car or even food preparations.
b. The campfire
Campfire photos are essential but capturing them can be quite tricky. However, this does not mean that you will not get great photos. You want to take pictures of the campfire before full dark crops in. The ambient light is key in helping capture as many details as possible. Campfire photos are great for documenting family and kids camping moments.
c. The food
Food is a fundamental aspect of the camping experience but requires the right photography to have it looking right. Otherwise, you will be left with a big mess. Capturing food photos during camping will require you to:
- Set the table in a very appealing way
- Include some scenery in the background
- Exclude any unimportant details
d. The dirt
When camping or backpacking outdoors, you are bound to come across a lot of dirt that will leave marks on your clothing. This will even be a common occurrence when you are camping with kids. As an adult, you might be tempted to clean up your kid but before doing that, take a few shots of the siled clothes or dirt-covered faces. Additionally, you want to take multiple photos when the kids are playing.
e. Camp activities
A great source of inspiration for your camping photographs should be the activities you take part in while camping. These provide an opportunity to document your camping experience. Such activities include swimming, fishing, and hiking among others.
Here, you can take photos of yourself, your family, kids, and even couples. Have fun experimenting in the wild.
Other great tips you can find here